National Academy of Sciences
National Academy of Engineering
Institute of Medicine
National Research Council
Office of News and Public Information
National Academy of Engineering
Back | Home
News from the National Academies

Dealing With Disasters at the Local Level – New Report

BUILDING COMMUNITY DISASTER RESILIENCE THROUGH PRIVATE-PUBLIC COLLABORATION, a new report from the National Research Council, finds that cooperation between the private and public sectors at the local level could improve a community's ability to mitigate against, prepare for, respond to, and recover from natural or human-caused disasters. Moreover, the report says that communities prepared for the most common disruptions are those most likely to adapt in the face of more severe or unexpected threats.

In the United States, the public sector represents 10 percent of the work force, and the other 90 percent work in the private sector. Consequently, operation and maintenance of many community assets, including critical infrastructure, are in private hands. To help enhance disaster resilience in communities, the report lays out a framework for strengthening private-public collaborations at the local level.

THE REPORT IS AVAILABLE FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE. Reporters may obtain copies by contacting the Office of News and Public Information at tel. 202-334-2138 or e-mail news@nas.edu