Frequently Asked Question (FAQ)
How Do I…
Provide General Comments
Provide Formal Comments
Request Project Information
You may view information in the Current Project System (CPS) in the following ways:
- By Project Title — lists projects alphabetically by project title
- By PIN -- lists projects by project identification number
- By RSO – lists projects alphabetically by the last name of the Responsible Staff Officer
- By Subject/Focus Area — lists projects by the 'Topics' highlighted on the home page of the National Academies
- By Board/Sub Unit – lists projects alphabetically by the name of the board or subunit under whose auspices the project is being conducted
- By Major Unit — lists projects by the name of the major unit and the names of the board or subunit within the major unit
- Provisional Committee Appointments Open for Formal Public Comment — lists projects in which the 20-calendar day formal public comment period on the committee membership remains open
- By Last Update — lists by date the projects whose records were updated as of that date
Each project record contains the Project Scope and links to additional project documents such as Committee Membership and Meetings Information, and to committee reports at the time that they are publicly released. Each document has in addition a link entitled “Back to Project View.” Click on this link to return to the start of a project record.
Located on the top right hand side of the all screens is SEARCH (Quick Search). Users can enter general search criteria to perform a full text search that searches every field in the project record in the Current Projects System.
Users can perform a search by clicking the Search for Projects link on the left under the Navigation Menu by entering at least one of the following search criteria:
- Project Title – search any content within the project title.
- Project Identification Number (PIN) -- search all or part of the PIN.
- Subject – drop down list of available subject topics. Users can search more than one topic by holding down the control key <Ctrl> and clicking selections.
- Scope – search any content within the project scope.
- Major Unit – drop down list of major units. Users can search more than one term by holding down the control key <Ctrl> and clicking selections.
- Board/Sub Unit – drop down list of boards and subunits. Users can search more than one term by holding down the control key <Ctrl> and clicking selections.
- Committee Membership – search any content from the member’s name field and/or member’s biographical information field.
- Meeting – search any content from the meeting name field and the meeting begin date field (format = mm/dd/yyyy).
- RSO Name – Responsible Staff Officer’s name.
- Provisional Committee Appointments Open for Formal Public Comment only – select to see only those projects in which the 20-calendar day formal public comment period on the committee membership remains open.
Search results can be sorted by PIN, Project Title or RSO Name. Click header to sort.
Searching for projects that are not found in CPS
If you are unable to locate in CPS the information for which you are searching, please use the search feature on the home page of the National Academies or on the websites of our major units such as the Transportation Research Board.
…Provide General Comments
Every project record has a public FEEDBACK button on the starting page. Viewers may use this FEEDBACK button at any time over the project’s duration to provide comments to the National Academies.
…Provide Formal Comments
Formal comments on the provisional appointments to a committee of the National Academies are solicited during the 20-calendar day period following the posting of the membership. Viewers must be at the end of the committee membership document in the section entitled “Comments on Provisional Committee Appointments” as shown below and click on the "FEEDBACK" link in that section to invoke this special electronic messaging mechanism. Note that there is a timer that indicates the number of days for which the formal public comment period remains open.
Comments on Provisional Committee Appointments
Viewers may communicate with the National Academies at any time over the project's duration. In addition, formal comments on the provisional appointments to a committee of the National Academies are solicited during the 20-calendar day period following the posting of the membership and, as described below, these comments will be considered before committee membership is finalized. We welcome your comments. (Use the FEEDBACK link below.)
Please note that the appointments made to this committee are provisional, and changes may be made. No appointment shall be considered final until we have evaluated relevant information bearing on the committee's composition and balance. This information will include the confidential written disclosures to The National Academies by each member-designate concerning potential sources of bias and conflict of interest pertaining to his or her service on the committee; information from discussion of the committee's composition and balance that is conducted in closed session at its first meeting and again whenever its membership changes; and any public comments that we have received on the membership during the 20-calendar day formal public comment period. If additional members are appointed to this committee, an additional 20-calendar day formal public comment period will be allowed. It is through this process that we determine whether the committee contains the requisite expertise to address its task and whether the points of views of individual members are adequately balanced such that the committee as a whole can address its charge objectively.
(FEEDBACK). You have [ ] day(s) remaining after today to provide feedback during the formal comment period.
…Request Project Information
Written materials submitted to a study committee by external sources are listed in the project's public access file and can be made available to the public upon request. Contact the Public Access Records Office (PARO) for a copy of the list and to obtain copies of the materials. Copies of materials are free to the press and government employees. Please send an email or call PARO to make a request or an inquiry.
Public Access Records Office
The National Academies
Washington DC 20001
Normal business hours for PARO are 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday.